Friday 1 June 2012

Jade They

Jade They has a mixed British and Chinese background and looks to her cultural roots for inspiration. She creates detailed linocuts and makes good use of the evocative black, white and red colour scheme often associated with Chinese culture. Although Jade favours traditional methods in working she often places her imagery in new contexts; creating installations where the work is experienced rather than just looked at.
































What are you exhibiting at the show?
A walk in installation comprised of over 40 illustrations that narrate the lifetime and experiences of my father.  I wanted to explore my own family history and the importance of communication between generations and also the contrast he experienced growing up in Malaysia and settling in England.

You’ve produced a very impressive amount of work, how long have you been working on this project and where did you start?
I had the idea whilst attending a family reunion in China last year and started work at the beginning of my final year. I began interviewing my father, recording five hours worth of stories and memories. I then created images based around what he’d told me and took it from there.








































I can see you’ve used a large variety of techniques, what do you feel is your favourite way of working?
I particularly enjoy using lino cut techniques and painting with dark inks, I also use a lot of charcoal. I think I just enjoy the darker, muted palette but I’m trying to incorporate more colour into my practice because I’ve often been accused of being too emo by my friends!

Do you listen to emo/screamo as you work? What kind of working atmosphere do you usually like?
Haha no, I normally need something like Iron&Wine to calm the chaotic atmosphere. I’m dyslexic and dyspraxic so it makes for an interesting experience when I have a lot to organise; it always comes good in the end though.

What do you love about what you do?
I struggle with being articulate with language so I love how you can communicate using images in a way that you can’t through words.

What’s the best advice you’ve been given this year?
Embrace your imperfections and don’t worry when things go wrong, it could be the start of a new way of working

What kept you sane during the Final Major Project?
Total denial and tea, lots of tea

Green or English breakfast?
Jasmine!



























See more of Jade’s work HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment