Monday 4 June 2012

Nick Martin

Four days left.  It's going to quickly.

Here's our next feature, Nick Martin.  The pieces of work below are very clean and digitally finished.  Make sure to go to his website & blog to discover some of his sketchbook drawings.  They're really raw, gritty and an insight in how Nick manages to take sketches and develop them into slick editorial illustrations.  Here's a few questions Nick answered for me:
















































Death of Books Nation Magazine, NY


1. Choose a noun, adjective and verb that best describes your work.
Conceptual, meaningful and light-hearted

2. Have you done any work outside of university?
I have recently completed two logo design jobs for companies outside of uni, as well as producing work considered to be used as cover artwork for The Nation Magaine, NY.

3. What is your preferred working enviroment? (studio, home, music, outside etc???)
I like to be out an about a lot because think the best ideas come from everyday life. Rather than intentionally looking in a particular place for inspiration, I prefer to just keep one eye open all of the time. Once I have an idea and it's ready for development I like to work further in the comfort of my own home, as I work a lot digitally I need access to a computer most of the time.

4. Where in London is your favourite gallery and why? Where was the last exhibition you went to ad what did you think of it?
I don't necessarily have a favourite gallery, but I'd say I've revisted the National Portrait Gallery the most amount of times... I never seem to get the same experience twice when I visit.

 5. What's does your next project entail
I am working on a lot of personal work at the moment. Mostly translating ideas that I have stored away in my sketchbooks and turning them into finished pieces. I like to work on a few things at a time, it means if I get a stiff neck drawing the same thing for a while I can always put it on hold while I research another project further.












































Personal work by Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment